The tourists and their selfies have spoken! So which popular landmarks have made the cut?
With summer holidays just around the corner, the excited tourist within us all is gearing up for a season full of culture, great food, sunshine and sightseeing. As our holidays arrive we are prepared to document the whole journey through our mobile phones; sharing our inspirational travels across our social media platforms.
Using a list of the top 50 landmarks On The Go Tours have revealed the wonders of the world according to Instagram.
The landmark landing the no.1 spot, and therefore the most popular landmark of them all, hails from France and is of course the Eiffel Tower in Paris. The hashtag #EiffelTower has been used across Instagram an astonishing 3.411.588 times!
Second on the top 50 list is one of the most acclaimed monuments Great Britain has to offer, Big Ben. Stood proudly in London the hashtag for the landmark, #BigBen, has been used 2,436,319 times.
The Grand Canyon in Arizona is the last leading landmark to grab a spot in the top three, and encompasses some of the United State’s most beautiful natural surroundings. The coordinating hashtag, #GrandCanyon, has been used 1,938,482 times on the photo sharing platform.
The Top 10 most hashtagged landmarks are:
- Eiffel Tower, Paris. #EiffelTower, used 3,411,588 times.
- Big Ben, London. #BigBen, used 2,436,319 times.
- Grand Canyon, Arizona. #GrandCanyon, used 1,938,482 times.
- London Eye, London. #LondonEye
- Empire State Building, New York City. #EmpireStateBuilding, used 1,578,349 times.
- Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco. #GoldenGateBridge used 1,572,846 times
- Tower Bridge, London. #TowerBridge used 1,178,399 times.
- Statue of Liberty, New York City. #StatueOfLiberty used 1,083,079 times.
- Sagrada Familia, Barcelona. #SagradaFamilia used 929,310 times.
- Colosseum, Rome. #Colosseum used 866,195.
Three of the most snapped landmarks across the world are located in Britain, with Big Ben, London Eye and Tower Bridge all taking spots in the top 10 list.
Another country to feature multiple times in the top 10 wonders of the world according to Instagram is the USA, taking four spots with the Grand Canyon, the Empire State Building, the Golden Gate Bridge and the memorable Statue of Liberty.
The other countries in the top 10 include France with the Eiffel Tower, Spain with the Sagrada Familia, and Italy with the Colosseum.