Stena Line, Emirates, Blue Insurance and the Europa Hotel, Belfast were just some of the top travel favourites to take home awards from this year’s Travel Media Awards, which took place in the five-star Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin today…
Stena Line, Emirates, Blue Insurance and the Europa Hotel, Belfast were just some of the top travel favourites to take home awards from this year’s Travel Media Awards, which took place in the five-star Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin today.
The annual awards ceremony, which was this year hosted in association with Shannon Airport, is now in its seventh year and is a highlight of the travel industry calendar, for both media and Trade in the Republic and Northern Ireland.
The Travel Media Awards are unique in that they are the only awards that call on members of the media to vote for their favourite travel companies.
Well-known travel writers and broadcasters Fionn Davenport and Deirdre Mullins were back again this year to MC the big day and as always, there were lots of surprises and giveaways during the awards including Business Class tickets to the US from American Airlines, a family holiday to France with Irish Ferries and KelAir Campotel and a luxury South Africa stay courtesy of Adams & Butler.
This year’s awards featured some exciting new categories including Best Airport to City Transportation, Best Hotel Breakfast, Best Instagram Account by an Irish Travel Writer or Blogger and Media Recommendation for 2017.
This year saw Shannon Airport come on board as the new headline sponsor of the awards, as well as the Shannon Airport Lifetime Achievement Award. Amadeus returned to sponsor the much sought after ‘Amadeus Innovator Award’, and category sponsors on the day were London City Airport, American Airlines, Adams & Butler and Las Vegas CVA.
Declan Power, Head of Aviation Development, Shannon Airport, said: “Shannon Airport were delighted to be headline sponsors this year of the 7th annual Travel Media Awards. 2017 has been an important year for Shannon Airport with new routes to Europe and North America. It was great to celebrate this year’s achievements with all our media and trade colleagues.”
Commenting on the awards, Michael Collins, Managing Director of TravelMedia.ie, said: “Thank you to everyone who made this afternoon such a special and fun day, especially our new headline sponsors Shannon Airport, and a well-deserved congratulations to all our winners, in particular Pat Reede (United Airlines), Stephen McKenna (The GoHop Group) and Onur Gul (Turkish Airlines).”
The full winners list is below:
- Best Short Haul Airline – Aer Lingus
- Best Long Haul Airline Flying West – Aer Lingus
- Best Long Haul Airline Flying East – Emirates
- Best Airport to City Transportation – London City Airport
- Best International Hotel Group – Red Carnation Hotel Collection
- Best Non-Hotel Accommodation Provider – Airbnb
- Best Hotel Breakfast – Europa Hotel, Belfast
- Best Cruise Company – Silversea Cruises
- Best Ferry Company – Stena Line
- Best Canal or River Cruise Company – Uniworld Boutique River Cruises
- Best Car Hire Company – Hertz
- Best Tour Operator – Sunway
- Best Online Travel Agent – GoHop.ie
- Best Ski Operator – Crystal Ski Holidays
- Best Travel Insurance Provider – Blue Insurance
- Best City or Short Break Destination – London
- Media Recommendation for 2017 – Portugal
- Media’s Favourite Place in Ireland – Donegal
- Best Tourist Board or CVB – Spanish Tourism Office
- Best Use of Social Media by a Travel Company Operating in the Irish Market – Tour America
- Best Instagram Account by an Irish Travel Writer or Blogger – WhereisTaraBlog (Tara Povey)
- Best Irish Travel Writer – Pól Ó Conghaile
- Best Irish Travel Blog – Tom Sweeney’s Travels
- Pleasure to Work With 2017 – Onur Gul, Turkish Airlines
- Amadeus Innovator Award – Stephen McKenna, The GoHop Group & Atlas Travel Services
- Shannon Airport Lifetime Achievement Award – Pat Reede
To see photos from the awards visit the TravelMedia.ie Facebook page where you can tag, like and share with your friends.
Parts of the event were also streamed live on the TravelMedia.ie Facebook page – and you can watch them back by visiting the page.
To catch up on all the action on the day check out the Twitter feed and the main event hashtag #TMevents.
All voting was independently audited and managed by the Department of Tourism at DIT (Dublin Institute of Technology).